Real Men, Real Role Players, Loonies, Psychopaths & Munchkins
Rifts Edition v. 6.8
By: Joseph Delisle
With updates by: Mad Dog
I've seen quite a few editions of this for other gaming systems, but never for Rifts. : (
So I made up my own...
Favorite OCC or RCC
- Real Men: play Borgs, Power Armor Pilots, and Juicers
- Real Role-players: play Rogue Scientists, City Rats and Cyber-Knights
- Loonies: play Crazies and Shapers
- Psychopaths: play Demons, Vampires, and Kreeghor
- Munchkins: play whatever has the most M.D.C. (usually an Apok/Juicer/Cosmo-Knight/Glitter Boy combination)
Favorite non-weapon skill
- Real Men: take boxing, for the extra attack
- Real Role-players: take science or language skills
- Loonies: take engineering and chemistry for their practical joke value
- Psychopaths: take prowl, 'cuz, "It's more fun when they don't see it coming."
- Munchkins: don't understand why skills not associated with weapons are important
- Real Men: use rail guns and missile launchers
- Real Role-players: use long bows and neural maces
- Loonies: use Nerf weapons
- Psychopaths: use knives. VERY big knives.
- Munchkins: use a mini-gun made out of six Boom Guns custom fit with ACME™ recoil suppressors
Favorite body armor
- Real Men: prefer power armor or exoskeletons
- Real Role-players: wear Triax "plain clothes" armor
- Loonies: wrap themselves in toilet paper
- Psychopaths: wear Coalition armor, for the death's-head motif
- Munchkins: wear the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd plus a never-needs recharging Naruni force
field with 250,000 M.D.C.
Favorite power armor
- Real Men: wear anything that gives them enough PS to carry around real weapons or has its own B.F.G.
- Real Role-players: hide behind the Real Men
- Loonies: use anything with reactive armor
- Psychopaths: Super SAMAS (they're nicknamed Grinning Demons, they HAVE to be cool!)
- Munchkins: don't use anything with under 1,000 M.D.C.
Favorite robotic vehicle
- Real Men: prefer Coalition bots (for the look), or the Triax Devastator (for the firepower)
- Real Role-players: prefer Behemoth explorers (with lots of space for keepsakes and research)
- Loonies: still prefer anything with reactive armor
- Psychopaths: Hellraisers, Hellraisers, Hellraisers!!!
- Munchkins: use the Death Star
- Real Men: like bionic limbs and/or bionic reconstruction
- Real Role-players: choose fingerjacks or translators
- Loonies: like plastic vampire teeth and fake blood
- Psychopaths: love bionic blasters and vibro-blades
- Munchkins: take what ever will give them the most M.D.C. bonuses
When cornered in a fire fight
- Real Men: smile and keep on shooting
- Real Role-players: negotiate with their attackers
- Loonies: feign death
- Psychopaths: charge their attackers, weapons blazing, shrieking obscenities and blasphemy.
- Munchkins: rift in 50 adult dragons and hundred-handed
Find employment as
- Real Men: bodyguards and mercenaries
- Real Role-players: spies and scholars
- Loonies: head of Coalition-Atlantis relations office
- Psychopaths: postal workers
- Munchkins: depose Splynn and take over the Megaverse
- Real Men: Germany, for the constant battles
- Real Role-players: Wormwood, for the new culture
- Loonies: the bathtub, for undersea adventures
- Psychopaths: anywhere with lots of "innocent bystanders."
- Munchkins: like to go where they can get the most credits
Favorite things to do at a Millennium Tree
- Real Men: Wants to get every magic item the tree can make.
- Real Role-players: Want to learn from the tree and will return all magic items to the tree.
- Loonies: Tries to tap the tree to get maple syrup for his/her pancakes.
- Psychopaths: Get themselves a ton of chemical defoliant, and spray it all over the place,
laughing maniacally as the benevolent, magical, home to a thousand people begins to wilt and die.
- Munchkins: Tries to get the G.M. to allow him/her to shrink the tree down to the size of
a staff. With the ability to kill Gods, Alien/Vampire Intelligences with a single blow.
- Real Men: don't play spell casters, but like Superhuman Strength
- Real Role-players: like anything associated with communication
- Loonies: use Blinding Flash so as to conserve their camera batteries
- Psychopaths: Agony and Life Drain, of course
- Munchkins: wish there were as many spells as Dungeons and Dragons
Favorite psionic power
- Real Men: love Sixth Sense and Mind Block
- Real Role-players: prefer Object Read and Empathy
- Loonies: like Hydrokinesis so they can sense open water within a 20' radius
- Psychopaths: enjoy Pyrokinesis and Bio-Manipulation
- Munchkins: have them all at first level
When faced down by an adult dragon with force fields thick enough to bounce ping pong balls off of
- Real Men: Open up with full melee sprays until their weapon systems of their huge bot
- Real Role-Players: Summon an anti-magic cloud and go Heeh-heeh! Sorry about your life!
- Loonies: Strike a bargain with the enemy
- Psychopaths: Giggle and say, "Hey, you're pretty cool. Wanna go commit some atrocities together?"
- Munchkins: Bring in the SDF-3 out of orbit, do a body-block ram that does 10D20 x 1000 M.D.C..
When faced by any frustrating situations
- Real Men: Bash it with their vibro-axe
- Real Role-Players: Check their skill sheets for anything which might have the slightest
value in that situation.
- Loonies: Bash it with their rubber chicken.
- Psychopaths: Walk away and find a small, furry animal (for reasons better left unsaid)
- Munchkins: Bash it with their greatest rune sword before starting a running fire fight
with the other PCs out of boredom
When the character is out of ammo and in a town
- Real Men: Tromp into the nearest pub, pull out a gun and yell at the top of their lungs
"WHERE THE HELL'S A WEAPONS DEALER! IF I DON'T FIND OUT I'LL PLUG SOMEBODY!"
- Real Role-players: Roll on their streetwise skill, and ask the GM what's available.
- Loonies: Screw the town, go into a forest, find a rubber tree, and make bullets out of
THAT! (Even for Energy Weapons).
- Psychopaths: Kill the Town mayor and steal his ammo.
- Munchkins: Ammo? What's ammo?
When Trying to extend their rations
- Real Men: steal from the real Role Players
- Real Role players: Use Resist hunger Psionic power
- Loonies: Steal from the real Men
Alt: Loonies: Chase after butterflies and eat dandelions.
- Psychopaths: kill their "comrades" and use them and their rations for food"
- Munchkins: "Extend my Rations? you mean they're supposed to go down, as in lose food?"
When the rations finally do run out
- Real Men: Aren't phased, they've already killed half the deer in the state just because
they think hunting is macho, so they aren't going to starve for a long time.
- Real Role players: Start using their knowledge of the woodlands to live of the land
without exhausting the surrounding eco-system.
- Loonies: Don't see the problem, as it's a proven scientific fact that mud and butterflies
are good for you.
- Psychopaths: Are really in a bind, because this means that they've eaten everyone else and
no longer have any human shields.
- Munchkins: Realize that the GM is actually keeping track of how much their character ate,
and claim that they purchased two years worth of rations back in Chi-Town.
- Real Men: MEAT, a 12 lb. worth of steak for an appetizer
- Real Role Players: All foods but tends to eat more healthy and less sugar
- Loonies: Twinkies and SPAM!
- Psychopaths: other PCs
- Munchkins: Really doesn't eat but if he would, it'll have to be the powers of the G.M.
Favorite musical instrument
- Real Men: guitars or anything else that makes them look macho
- Real Role Players: violins and other classical instruments
- Loonies: enjoy eye flutes
- Psychopaths: novelty dart guns built into flutes
- Munchkins: TRUMPET of ODIN
When Signing up to Join the CS Army
- Real Men: Sign up as grunts and robot pilots, for the combat.
- Role-Players: Sign up as RCSG scientists, in order to learn about new and different life-forms.
- Loonies: Claim to be the long-lost Prosek brother, and demand to be made heir to the throne.
- Psychopaths: Sign up specifically for the "helpless D-Bee extermination" unit, for fun and profit.
- Munchkins: Use their magical crown of psychic enslavement to take control of the entire
city of Chi-Town, and use the entire Coalition army to invade and conquer other dimensions.
When At the Local Magic Shoppe
- Real Men: Ask where they keep the TW Laser Rifles and TW grenades.
- Real Role-Players: Ask where they could find a well-learned wizard to help them decipher
an ancient scroll they found during their travels.
- Loonies: Distract the proprietor, then eat all the Faerie Food.
- Psychopaths: They also look for Faerie Food. Not food made by Faeries, but actual, chocolate dipped, pixies.
- Munchkins: Look at the rune swords on display, scoff, and say, "How mundane."
When Escaping From the Atlantean Arena
- Real Men: Knock out a Kittani guard, then grab his guns and shoot his way out of captivity.
- Real Role-Players: Make an incredibly complex plan to escape, tunneling into water and
sewage lines, and then crawling to freedom.
- Loonies: Demand a transfer to the "Meat Department."
- Psychopaths: Perform such brutal atrocities in the ring that even the Splugorth are
disgusted. Despite their wishes to stay, the Splugorth kick them out of the arena.
- Munchkins: Demand to fight Splynncryth himself, knowing that they can easily kill him and take his throne.
When on Wormwood
- Real Men: Join the Knights of the Hospitalers in the battle against the evil minions of the Unholy.
- Real Role-Players: Befriend Wormspeakers or Priests of Light, and follow these beings
around in order to gain more insight into the nature of Wormwood.
- Loonies: Run around the streets of Cathedral in a monster costume, yelling, "I'm the
Unholy! I'm the Unholy! Booga booga boo!"
- Psychopaths: Visit the Unholy, and take detailed notes on his style.
- Munchkins: Strike the surface of the Living Planet with their incredible rune sword of
ultra-soul drinking, killing Wormwood with one blow.
When questioning a prisoner or suspect
- Real Men: Remind them that they know where they live, they've been watching and if they
spill the beans now they can avoid trouble later.
- Real Role-Players: Have a quiet non-threatening mono a mono discussion with them listening
to all their stories about their traumatic childhood whilst scanning them with empathy.
- Loonies: Lock themselves in a padded room with the suspect bringing only a feather and a wet towel.
- Psychopaths: Tie the suspect down onto a table under a heat lamp and start peeling skin
off one layer at a time while asking questions slowly in a whisper.
- Munchkins: Cut the suspects head off with their Reflex-Sword and put it through their
When they find an explosive in the city
- Real Men: grab it shove it in there rocket launcher and watch it fly away.
- Real Role-Players: meticulously take the bomb apart piece by piece.
- Loonies: take out the knife and fork and get to work.
- Psychopaths: don't care because they planted it.
- Munchkins: do the same as loonies (minus the knife and fork) and not only demand that it
counts as there meal but that they get self sacrifice and whine when they don't get there
The Bar Room additions
When a fight in a bar breaks out
- Real Men: Grab a chair and get to work
- Real Role-Players: Use the distraction to slip into the back room and discover the drug
ring ran by the barman
- Loonies: Leap behind the bar to better protect the sweet, nourishing beer. From this
defensible position they start making eyes at the barmen.
- Psychopaths: Pull out the vibro-knives and get to work
- Munchkins: Remind the GM that they're still wearing their Glitter Boy, then whip out the
six-boom-gun mini-gun and get to work.
At the card table
- Real Men: Play to win, drink hard, and inevitably start a brawl when they accuse someone of cheating.
- Real Role-Players: Make a killing with their gambling skills, before inevitably starting
a brawl when accused of cheating.
- Loonies: Inevitably start a brawl when they suggest a game of strip poker and try to take
off half of everyone's clothes to up the stakes.
- Psychopaths: Play cards to try and look like real people before inevitably starting a
brawl when the guy sitting next to them mysteriously gets a knife in the guts.
- Munchkins: Only play if the GM stuffed up and made ridiculously easy odds on the card
table before inevitably starting a brawl when accused of blocking the entrance with their
- Real Men: Cold beer and hard spirits, straight up.
- Real Role-Players: Have already picked a favorite drink, typically a hard to make cocktail.
They will inevitably ask for an experience bonus for their excellent playing in character.
- Loonies: a bottle of vodka to start things off, served out of a novelty beer-holder hat.
After one sip, they will DEMAND to have drunk penalties applied, and begin to crack on to bikers.
- Psychopaths: Aren't drinking tonight because they poisoned the beer.
- Munchkins: Whatever it is, they will NEVER accept drunk penalties, nor will they deduct
any cash from their total to pay for it.
When the cops show up with guns blazing
- Real Men: Dive behind the bar, collapsing the far wall with their grenade launcher.
- Real Role-Players: Use Simple Invisibility to escape unnoticed, returning later to rescue
his companions with a MacGyver style jury rigged contraption which took five minutes to
build using his incredible arsenal of skills.
- Loonies: Leap on a table and do a five minute freestyle rap about how police are
destroying the soul of the black man.
- Psychopaths: Don't really care, as the excellently timed fire in the nearby hospital will
distract the cops long enough to stab his companions in the backs and escape.
- Munchkins: Don't really care. Their "Amulet of Ridiculously powerful force fields" should
be able to stop anything smaller than a large planetoid.
When the barman starts talking about recent events
- Real Men: Go off and either play cards or punch someone out. They know the Role-players
will deal with this one.
- Real Role-Players: will take longhand notes of everything said, and do a key word search
on the database of barman gossip they've already accumulated.
- Loonies: Put a table cloth over the barman's head and begin an impromptu session of
Dutch Ovens, accompanied by an identical Dutch Oven attack against the GM.
- Psychopaths: Pay close attention to the information on slaver activity. He's thinking
about knocking off a certain preschool, but needs a bit of extra manpower to do a proper job.
- Munchkins: Get bored of this non combat activity. While no one else is watching, they
add a few points to all their attributes and an extra zero on their cash total.
Real Men Hit Chi-Town
In the Burbs
- Real Men Visit their Black Market contact and get a bigger gun.
- Real Role-Players: Visit the local bars and inns to ply the workers for information or
teach a small D-Bee child how to read.
- Loonies: Frolic through the streets, singing a lounge lizard adaptation of the theme song
to "Friends." After this, they'll walk behind people muttering loudly to no one in particular.
- Psychopaths: Send fake orders to Dog Boy squads and watch while large sections of the town are razed.
- Munchkins: Start fights.
At the City Gate
- Real Men; Glare at the guards as they turn over their weapon belts.
- Real Role-Players: Get through without a hitch, even with psi-powers and magic, thanks to
creative use of skills and cunning.
- Loonies: Ask the Dog Boys if they could spare any Kibbles 'n Bits.
- Psychopaths: Pull out a fur rug and ask the Dog Boys if it looks familiar.
- Munchkins: Walk up to the gates and start shooting the instant they see Dead Boy armor.
- Real Men: Buy weapons and survival equipment from legit (and not so legit) dealers.
- Real Role-Players: Buy illegal chemistry and physics textbooks, through the Black Market.
- Loonies: Rubber chickens, rubber chickens, rubber chickens! Rubber chickens and dog vomit.
Rubber chickens, dog vomit, and whatever the person in front of them in line is getting.
- Psychopaths: Buy a number of innocent looking household and garden implements, particularly
aerosol cleaners and knife sharpeners.
- Munchkins: Don't understand why you have to go to stores to buy things.
When they finally get access to the main computer net
- Real Men: Implant a virus that destroys the CS military communications network.
- Real Role-Players: Implant a trojan horse that copies all information out of all databases,
then gives the information away to the resistance group they met in the Burbs.
- Loonies: Implant a virus that causes all Skelebots and other unmanned robots to start
performing the mime interpretation of the Macarana.
- Psychopaths: Implant a virus that introduces select changes into the Chi-Town environmental
systems, such as zero oxygen or 100% oxygen.
- Munchkins: Get mad at the GM because they forgot to take Computer Operations skill.
When they finally get access to the Chi-Town Library
- Real Men: Immediately seek out Sun-Tzu's The Art of War.
- Real Role-Players Immediately seek out The Oddessy.
- Loonies: Immediately seek out all copies of back episodes of Red Dwarf, MST3K, and
Monty Python's Flying Circus.
- Psychopaths: Whip out a flamethrower and go to town.
- Munchkins: Get mad at the GM because they forgot to take Literacy skill.
When they finally get an audience with the Proseks
- Real Men: Exact cold vengeance.
- Real Role-Players Do the same thing as Real Men, but in such a way that doesn't get them
and their group killed, usually involving of physics and chemistry.
- Loonies: Ask if they really can cure personality disorders, and if any of the local
doctors will prescribe them. ("I swear that he looked like an a...")
- Psychopaths: Rat
- Munchkins: Absorb them into the Collective.
After being arrested by the ISS
- Real Men: Plan a daring escape, using high explosives as a diversion.
- Real Role-Players Demand to play out the entire trial sequence.
- Loonies: Ask if they can call their Psychic Friend.
- Psychopaths: Get into the woodshop activity group.
- Munchkins: Don't get arrested, since they can kill everyone in Chi-Town.
- Real Men: "For honor and glory!"
- Real Roleplayers: "Once more unto the breech, dear friends!" or "Come, villain! Will you walk?"
- Loonies: "SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!"
- Psychopaths: "Women and children first!"
- Munchkins: Too busy concentrating on the complexities of a BFG to worry about a battle cry.
- Real Men: "The art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you can find a big stick."
- Real Roleplayers: Spend two hours on it, citing the 50 treaties they forged with various
nations last week as proof.
- Loonies: "The art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you can find a box of milkbones."
- Psychopaths: "The art of saying 'Nice Doggy' believably while you're skinning it alive."
- Munchkins: Wilk's 457 Laser Pulse Rifle
When walking into a bar
- Real Men: Sidle up to the bar and order something strong.
- Real Roleplayers: Either ply the bartender for info or complain that all adventures start in bars.
- Loonies: Act drunk until someone points out that they haven't ordered anything yet.
- Psychopaths: Go to the fat man in the white suit who sits in the corner booth and either
sells out the party or sells his own services as an... extractor of information.
- Munchkins: Order a lot of drinks that don't exist because they're not old enough to
go into real bars.
Necessary motivation to get them to jump through a Rift
- Real Men: A horde of rampaging Juicers.
- Real Roleplayers: Mentioning the possibilities offered by a new culture.
- Loonies: Mentioning the possibility of being Rifted into Toon.
- Psychopaths: Mentioning the possibilities offered by a new population to plunder.
- Munchkins: Mentioning the possibility of getting that spell "Enslave Intelligence".
When looking out over a battlefield
- Real Men: Get a determined look on their face and a tighter grip on their Wilk's Rifle.
- Real Roleplayers: Get a mournful look on their face before launching into a ten minute
speech on the horrors of war.
- Loonies: Get confused because they don't understand why this scene was put into the game.
- Psychopaths: Ask if there are any nearby bodies they can loot and, if not, there is anyone
nearby they can make dead so they can loot the body.
- Munchkins: Say "Finally! Now the real role-playing begins!"
When looking out over a desolate wilderness area
- Real Men: Get a determined look on their face and a tighter grip on their Wilk's Rifle.
- Real Roleplayers: Say "Finally! Now the real role-playing begins!"
- Loonies: Get the sudden urge to collect sap and use it for almost-benign purposes.
- Psychopaths: Get the sudden urge to collect sap and use it for nowhere-near-benign purposes.
- Munchkins: Say "How much XP do I get per use of a skill?"
When looking out over a city
- Real Men: Ask the locals about bars and inns, because there are plenty of fights to go
around, but good food and a warm bed are hard to find.
- Real Roleplayers: Do the same thing as Real Men, because that's where the most
plot-revealing information can be found (unlike the library or mechanic shop, as they'd prefer).
- Loonies: Do the same thing as Real Men, because if they don't hang with the others,
they'll probably get killed.
- Psychopaths: Do the same thing as Real Men, because there are more drunk and sleeping
mar... I mean, people in those places.
- Munchkins: Do the same thing as Real Men, because they need a place to "modify" their
weapons and equipment and start fights.
After finding the Long Lost Triangle of Zinthar
- Real Men: Ask if they can become Mecha-Real Men.
- Real Roleplayers: Hide it from the forces of evil, turning it into the main plot element
of a completely new campaign.
- Loonies: Hide it in their shoes.
- Psychopaths: Sell it to Barbara Striesand.
- Munchkins: Don't get the reference, because their not old enough to watch South Park.
- Real Men: Dying without honor.
- Real Roleplayers: Dying without purpose.
- Loonies: Dying without a punch-line.
- Psychopaths: Seeing a Cyber-Knight.
- Munchkins: Level drain.
When selecting background music for a Rifts game...
- Real Men: Pick AC/DC or the Heavy Metal sound track
- Real Roleplayers: Pick the Bubblegum Crisis original score
- Loonies: Pick anything from Frank Zappa
- Psychopaths: Pick the Clockwork Orange soundtrack
- Munchkins: Go through the GM's books picking out bigger guns while everyone else picks
the background music.
Favorite Thing to Do at a stone Pyramid
- Real men: Heal himself
- Real Roleplayers: Learn from the healers and mages there
- Loonies: Paint it bright pink
- Psychopaths: Remove the keystone so the whole thing falls down on itself, killing everyone inside
- Munchkins: Shrink down to pocket size, then use it as a tent when he's traveling.
An average character's theme music
- Real Men: Search and Destroy by Metallica
- Real Roleplayers: Almost anything by Sarah McLachlan
- Loonies: Dare to be Stupid, Weird Al
- Psychopaths: Anything classical (They never see you coming...)
- Munchkins: The Beavis and Butthead Soundtrack
When meeting a stranger on the road
- Real Men: Wave hello while keeping their hands on their guns (it might be a trap).
- Real Roleplayers: Wave hello while keeping their hands away from their guns (he might
think that's hostile).
- Loonies: Stop using Concealment to hide rocks long enough to wave hello.
- Psychopaths: Don't just wave hello, but invite them to sit down and have lunch with them
before palming a vibro-blade out of their coat sleeve.
- Munchkins: Start a fight.
When faced by bandits (Hey, does anyone know the entomology of the phrase
"Stand and Deliver"?)
- Real Men: Start a fight.
- Real Roleplayers: Hand over their gear, as their Gnome Wilderness Scout can't stand up in a fight.
- Loonies: Don't do much because no one lets them have any valuable gear.
- Psychopaths: Pull a vibro-blade, turn to the party, and say "You heard the man, give us your gear."
- Munchkins: Don't sweat it because they can always call their Pain Elemental-powered Soul
Drinking Rune Long Gun back thanks to the mental bond that took two seconds to form.
When faced by a pissed-off Mega-Juicer
- Real Men: Break out the Heavy Plasma Cannon.
- Real Roleplayers: Pretend to panic, kneel before the Mega-Juicer, beg his forgiveness,
and then punch random buttons on his the external control for his Bio-Comp.
- Loonies: Cast Negate Poisons/Toxins, just to see if it would work...
- Psychopaths: Blame it on the Real Roleplayer.
- Munchkins: Yells at the GM when he says that the newly designed TW Annihilate Cannon that
he made "back at that town a ways back" doesn't work.
When faced by a pissed-off GM
- Real Men: Break out Ghoull's Guide to Taking
Everyone Else Down With You.
- Real Roleplayers: Don't need Ghoull's Guide because they either don't piss off the GM or
already have it memorized.
- Loonies: Kiss their whoopie-cushion goodbye.
- Psychopaths: Kill the party (after all, they were going to do it anyway...)
- Munchkins: Don't pay attention to little things like the attitudes of the other players.
Our heroes have been traveling for days on foot without seeing another living soul.
Suddenly, they come across a damaged, recently abandoned but still functional APC. The...
- Real Men: readies his plasma rifle and looks for what caused the damage.
- Real Roleplayers: readies his thinking cap and looks for clues as to why the crew left.
- Loonies: readies his box of Band-Aids and tries to repair the damage.
- Psychopaths: readies his tool kit, and sets the nuclear engine to explode when the next
person comes along.
- Munchkins: readies his Bags of Holding (from AD&D) and loots the APC for anything of value.
General Opinion of Rifts
- Real Men: Like the Triax and CWC books, but aren't happy with the power creep that keeps
their characters buying new gear.
- Real Roleplayers: Really wish there was a Scholar/Adventurer sourcebook or have given up on Rifts entirely.
- Loonies: Can't get enough of the Crazy class and the Mindwerks book, but don't get why
there are no suitable weapons for them.
- Psychopaths: Like the way the game caters to cold-blooded slaughter of monster hordes but
wish there were more material on Atlantis and the Phoenix Empire.
- Munchkins: Demand to play it whenever AD&D isn't available.
When entering battle
- Real Men: Rain righteous death upon their enemies.
- Real Roleplayers: Have already won by taking out the enemy's support troops, cutting off
their supply lines, and mining the road that the enemy has to use to approach the battlefield.
- Loonies: Provide covering fire for the Real Men with their Nerf Guns and water wennies.
- Psychopaths: Have probably just been taken down by the Real Roleplayer in a preemptive
strike to prevent some stupid back-stabbing maneuver. That, or they hang in back and let
everyone else do the fighting, preferring to pick the bodies over once the fight's over.
- Munchkins: Complain that nothing challenges their True Atlantean Undead Slayer Cosmo-Knight
anymore, much to the dismay of everyone else at the table.
Real Men go Christmas Shopping
- Real Man: That little old lady is about to get the last Furby! Body Block/Tackle!
- Real Roleplayer: While everyone brawls with the Real Man for the last Furby, I pick the
lock to the storeroom, and steal several crates of Furbies that the Evil Store Manager had
hidden to drive up prices. Then I take them to the nearest inner city and pass them out to
disadvantaged youths while lecturing them about drugs and (blah blah blah).
- Loony: I enter the store wearing a cardboard box, and pass myself off as a Furby.
- Psychopaths: I replace the "Warning: Under Construction" signs over the open elevator
shaft with signs that say "More Furbies This Way."
- Munchkins: Gosh, I hope my mommy buys me a Furby for Christmas!
Real Men meet the Angel of Death
- Real Man: DIE, WITCH! EAT MINI-MISSLE VOLLEYS!
- Real Roleplayer: Using the Psychoanalyze skill of my own design, I rehabilitate Angel and
her adopted daughter, turning them to the side of good, and making them happy, productive
members of society. I then go on to (blah blah blah blah).
- Loony: I hit on her.
- Psychopaths: I bitch-slap her. With my forearm vibro-sword extended.
- Munchkins: He's gonna hit on her? EWWWWW! That's groty! Girls have, like, COOTIES!
Real Men Go To Russia
- Real Men: Bogatyr and Heavy Machines
- Real Roleplayers: Traveling Storyteller, Russian Villager, Gypsy Layer of Laws, Catholic
Priest... They just have a field day with these books.
- Loonies: Ectohunter ("Who ya gonna call?")
- Psychopaths: Necromancer and Gypsy Thieves
- Munchkins: Thunderstorm Heavy Artillery Cyborg
- Real Men: AR-M36 Rifle Mini-Missile Launcher
- Real Roleplayers: Vibro-Polearm
- Loonies: AR-210 Grapeshot Cannon, but get mad after picking it as they misunderstood the name.
- Psychopaths: AR-110 Razor Disk Cannon
- Munchkins: Any Servo-Rig mountable weapon with at least three other weapons duct-taped to
it and rigged to fire from one trigger.
- Real Men: Ballistic Fire
- Real Roleplayers: Any and all Nature Magic
- Loonies: Enchant the Mighty Rooster (with a name like that, who cares what it does?)
- Psychopaths: Any and all Necromantic and Spoiling Magic
- Munchkins: Doesn't matter since they have them all.
- Real Men: Man-Wolf, because nothing's better than reliving The Howling.
- Real Roleplayers: Domovoi, since even Real Roleplayers need an occasional break from
saying they clean up their room every day.
- Loonies: Water Demons, since the creature's cause them to actually get some real use out
of their sponge-like Nerf weapons.
- Psychopaths: Don't care which, since they probably have made a pact with them all anyway.
- Munchkins: The Rusaka ("Huh huh huh. Half-naked chick...)
Favorite New Equipment
- Real Men: Servo-Harness Rig
- Real Roleplayers: The Field Equipment List
- Loonies: Ecto Sensor and jump suit for their Ectohunter. ("What are you supposed to be,
some kind of a Cosmonaut?")
- Psychopaths: Anything that starts with the word Knife.
- Munchkins: Don't pay attention to equipment
Feelings Towards the Warlords
- Real Men: Brothers in arms, though they could stand to be a little less brutal to the peasant folk.
- Real Roleplayers: Evil, but necessary, dictators who should be overthrown, if it wasn't
for the fact that they are the only things keeping the normals alive.
- Loonies: Don't care.
- Psychopaths: Brothers in arms, though they could probably squeeze more out of the peasant folk.
- Munchkins: Targeted for conquest.
Feelings Towards the Gypsiesv
- Real Men: Don't like anyone not willing to give a full day's work.
- Real Roleplayers: Think they are some of the best set of classes in the books.
- Loonies: Would be fawning over them if the Ectohunter hadn't been in there.
- Psychopaths: Always glad to see them. After all, no one will miss them.
- Munchkins: What's a Gypsy? Can I get my brain put in that Thunderstorm now?
Feelings Towards the Sovietski
- Real Men: Commie Bastards
- Real Roleplayers: The true hope for Mother Russia.
- Loonies: Commie Bastards
- Psychopaths: Commie Bastards
- Munchkins: Would say Commie Bastards if they were old enough to care about Commie Bastards.
In The First Campaign
- Real Men: Play their Cyborg to the hilt and get killed by a rampaging demon.
- Real Roleplayers: Play their Villager to the hilt and get killed in the first fight.
- Loonies: Play their Ectohunter to the hilt and get killed by whoever gets tired of
Ghostbuster references first.
- Psychopaths: Play their Necromancer to the hilt and get killed by whoever meets them first.
- Munchkins: Play their Thunderstorm to the hilt (they're there to shoot stuff) and don't
get killed because the thing is as nimble as a jackrabbit (PP: 18) or will be by the time
the Munchkin gets through with it.
In the Second Campaign
- Real Men: Play a different Cyborg get killed by a rampaging demon.
- Real Roleplayers: Play a Cyborg and don't get killed.
- Loonies: Play another Ectohunter with pretty much the same results.
- Psychopaths: Play a Night Witch with pretty much the same results as their Necromancer.
- Munchkins: Play an exact copy of their Thunderstorm to the hilt and get hit by a Cow from Space.
The arch-types go Christmas Shopping
- Real Men : Buy ammo reloads for all of their friends cool weapons.
- Real Role-players: Buys their friends book and if they don't know how to read teaches them.
- Real Loonies: Buys swimming lessons for the Vampires down the street.
- Real Psychopaths: Since it's the holidays decides to kill their friends quickly instead of slowly torturing them to death.
- Real Munchkins: To busy blowing things up to have friends.
At the Splynn Dimensional Market
- Real Men: Stroll casually through the market, unafraid of demons since he snuck into the
Real Roleplayer's tent last night & stole his gurgoyle costume
- Real Roleplayers: Wonder how the Real Man got past all his security measures.
- Loonies: Dart between this end & that, wondering why nobody ever made Rune Nerf
Weapons, while also looking for someone who can remove some of the curses faerie folk placed
on him (like it's his fault they resemble some of his favorite edible flowers). Decides he
rather enjoys orange skin.
- Psychopaths: Glad to "finally be among kindred souls," looks for the nearest slaver.
Then heads off in search of a good transmutation chamber to get some power "the easy way."
- Munchkins: Laughing at the "weak" greatest Rune weapons, wonder if anyone knows where he
can find Splynncryth since he's eager to try out his Splugorth-sized Helmet of Submission.
Upon confronting Splynncryth
- Real Men: Are glad that they got those silver rounds for their robot vehicle's rail gun(s),
& begin to rain righteous death upon the evil Intelligence, confident that the Real
Roleplayer has a "Plan B" just in case he runs out of ammo.
- Real Roleplayers: Stand in the background using either Invisibility or Chameleon, waiting
for the right moment to strike, while also making sure that all the complex traps, red
herrings, distractions, etc. to keep the Minions at bay just long enough.
- Loonies: Attempt to convince "Splynnie" to try on the custom-made monocle they spent the
last 2 days making.
- Psychopaths: Hide along with the Real Roleplayer, also waiting for the right moment to
strike (against the other PCs). Wishes they had bought those silver-plated knives before.
- Munchkins: Wishes everybody would get out of the way so that he could use the mega
particle-beam cannon (2D6x1 million M.D.C.) on his re-fitted "Super Death Star."
On Halloween, Real Men...
When picking out costumes on Rifts Earth...
- Real Men: Dress up as a Julian Amici or Ishtar.
- Real Roleplayers: Dress up as Erin Tarn or Plato (pin stripe suit, green shark-skin tie,
and slicked back hair).
- Loonies: Dress up as a Flooper or Zembahk.
- Psychopaths: Dress up as whatever their last victim was wearing.
- Munchkins: Dress up as E. Gary Gygax.
Favorite candy to find in their bag...
- Real Men: Jawbreakers.
- Real Roleplayers: Jelly beans.
- Loonies: Those fucking caramels that are always half melted.
- Psychopaths: Lady's fingers.
- Munchkins: +14 Swords of Beat-anything.
When accosted for their candy by head
hunters in Jar Jar masks...
- Real Men: Pull the pulse rifle out of their pillowcase and whup some ass.
- Real Roleplayers: Try to convince the head hunters that the kids down the
street have more candy.
- Loonies: Start screaming "Floop! Floop!"
- Psychopaths: Turn on the party and calmly shoot them for their candy.
- Munchkins: Will the head hunters out of existence.
When putting things in the candy apples they give out to hand to the neighbor kids...
- Real Men: Paint hand grenades with red glaze.
- Real Roleplayers: Use a slow acting neurotoxin that degrades after the victim dies bleeding
from their eyes.
- Loonies: Hand out red colored rocks with the words "Apply to skull" labeled clearly on them.
- Psychopaths: Screw the apples and invite the kids in for cake and...
- Munchkins: Hit 'em with their +12 Vorpal Sword of Blatancy as soon as they open the door.
Favorite thing with which to spike the punch
- Real Men: Everclear, or 110 proof vodka.
- Real Roleplayers: Prozac
- Loonies: Liquid Ex-Lax
- Psychopath: Potassium cyanide
- Munchkins: "How many experience points do I get if I..."
- Real Men: Knightly armor, or grim-reaper type robes.
- Real Roleplayers: Go as Romeo, MacBeth, or similar Shakespearian character.
- Loonies: TP toga.
- Psychopath: Jeffrey Dahmer. And hand out hor'deurves of everyone else.
- Munchkins: "How much experience do I get if I...."
Favorite Halloween Movie
- Real Men: An American Werewolf in London/Paris or slasher films.
- Real Roleplayers: Either "The Changeling" or classic 1930s horror films
- Loonies: Deliverance
- Psychopaths: Stolen crime scene videos (alt, Faces of Death)
- Munchkins: Home videos (Hey, it scares everyone else!)
- Real Men: Love 'em! Favorites are Chain with a Broken Link (supernatural strength),
Three Lightning Bolts (fire lightning bolts) and Heart In Chains (limited invulnerability),
and all monster and magic weapon tattoos.
- Real Role-players: Finds the practice of mutilating one's body for magic powers distasteful,
but they do like Eye of Knowledge (language and literacy) and Three Eyes (supernatural vision).
- Loonies: Loves Monster: Clown (the scariest monster out there!)
- Psychopaths: Simple Weapon: Knife, or Touch of Death. When they least expect it.... hahaha....
- Munchkins: Have a extra large yet easily concealable and easily reachable tattoo that
costs 10 PPE to activate but is the equivalent of all the power tattoos, every type of
ancient in magic weapon, every monster from CB1, and every animal from Monsters and Animals.
Preferred Martial arts
- Real Men: Has to give them access to Body Hardening and Martial Art Techniques, as well
as solid combat bonuses.
- Real Roleplayers: meditatively focused, likely to involve Chi mastery.
- Loonies: Ti Kwan Leap; Boot to the Head, or pinky kung fu.
- Psychopaths: anything that can get them Dim Mak and Negative Chi mastery.
- Munchkins: Has the mutant power 'Natural Combat Ability' plus Sonic speed, and knows all
martial Arts powers.
When you can tell if you've been playing RIFTS for too long when they
- Real Men: try to fight somebody three times their size and forget that they DON'T have a
particle beam cannon.
- Real Roleplayers: accidentally mistake Emperor Prosek for Hitler and the CS Army for the
SS in a history paper.
- Loonies: can't distinguish RIFTS™ from reality anyways.
- Psychopaths: go around school and say, "My gun's bigger than yours, Xiticix scum!"
- Munchkins: ask somebody if they can borrow 6D2 to ride the train home and pretend they
can shapeshift into thousands of fire ants to steal your food.
- Real Men: Boing-go, Mega, Rush, and Crash for the super strength and speed.
- Real Roleplayers: don't do drugs.
- Loonies: Juice since they are already wannabes of everything.
- Psychopaths: PCP or LSD since they already think they can fly.
- Munchkins: smoke a bowl at the game to make their characters seem even more tripped out
than they already are.
Here are the contributers to this list and what they added.
- Shawn Merrow added
- Favorite things to do at a Millennium Tree
- Arch-types go Christmas Shopping
- Jeff Myers added
- The Dragon with a force field
- Ghoull added
- FlashFire added
- "When faced by any frustrating situations"
- Real Men hit Chi-Town section
- Battle Cries
- Defining Diplomacy
- When walking into a bar
- Necessary motivation to get them to jump through a Rift
- When looking out over a battlefield
- When looking out over a desolate wilderness area
- When looking out over a city
- After finding the Long Lost Triange of Zinthar
- Greatest fear
- An average character's theme music:
- When meeting a stranger on the road
- When faced by bandits
- When faced by a pissed-off Mega-Juicer
- When faced by a pissed-off GM
- General Opinion of Rifts
- When entering battle
- Real Men go to Russia
- BJ added
- Hades and Greek Co. added
- Favorite Food and Trying to extend their rations
- Robert Allan added
- Ashlar added
- The Alt: Loonies: for Extending rations
- Jonathan E. Aanta added
- Favorite Musical Instrument
- Ghoull added
- CS Army, Local Magic Shoppe, Atlantean Arena and Wormwood
- Lord VorTEx added
- Questioning a prisoner or suspect
- Jonathan E Santa Cruz added
- Rallan added
- Ruiner added
- When selecting background music for a Rifts game...
- J.R. Webber added
- Favorite Thing to Do at a stone Pyramid
- Blue Max added
- Our heroes have been traveling for days on foot without
seeing another living soul. Suddenly, they come across a
damaged, recently abandoned but still functional APC.
- Real Men go Christmas Shopping
- Real Men meet the Angel of Death
- Kenny Snow added
- At the Splynn Dimensional Market
- Upon confronting Splynncryth:
- Ruiner added
- When picking out costumes on Rifts Earth...
- Favorite candy to find in their bag
- When accosted for their candy by head hunters in Jar Jar masks
- When putting things in the candy apples they give out to hand to the neighbor kids
- Favorite thing with which to spike the punch:
- Favorite costume:
- Favorite Halloween Movie:
- JR Webber
- When you can tell if you've been playing RIFTS' for too long when they:
- Favorite Drugs
Real_Rifts.php -- Revised: January 27, 2021.